Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sandra the Highland Steer

Sandra called me at work at the end of August 2007 to tell me she was in the same boat as I was. She said she had been trying to reach me for a week.

"What do you mean?" I asked with dread in my heart.

"I have just been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer " was her response.

I started to cry and had to ring off. I cried all day long and all evening.

The next day I called her significant other and my very dear friend of over 30 years, AJ.

He said she had told him telling me had gone badly. I agreed that sobbing and crying was tough for someone facing lung cancer.

I contact Sandra again and told her that I was done crying and we had some things to face together. She agreed. She said her reward for overcoming cancer was to go to Cuba. I suggested she go right away but she said she needed to wait until her battle was over.

And so, for the next the next 9 months, Sandra showed me what courage in the face of no propect for success looks like.

No comments: