Friday, May 2, 2008

Surgery and shock

Monday, April 16, 2007

Subject: Bearer of bad news
Heather had a mammogram last week which detected something and today that something was confirmed as Stage 2 breast cancer. She scheduled for a mastectomy within the next two weeks. I’d have a few choice words for the situation but it might not make it through your internet security.

She asked me to pass the word along – she’s gone home tonight for a good cry and to be in the ‘boozum’ of her family – but I know she will be needing all of our good wishes and tender mercies over the next few weeks.

Yours in shock and sorry but basically optimistic! Alison.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007
1:30 pm.
Went by my favourite shoe store today and dropped in. Saw a pair of boots that are multicoloured stripes that begged me to wear them, especially to see a breast cancer surgeon. I debated but after I talked to the sales people I bought them and put them right on my feet. Ready for anything…nearly.

My posse and I met with the surgeon. There was so many of us in his tiny examination room that he stepped into the room, paused, and then nearly stepped out again.

The surgeon explained that I had choices. Mastectomy or lumpectomy. Lumpectomy is a gamble that you will get the mastectomy anyway. But I took it. Lumpectomy it was.

The procedure is done by day surgery and with the current infection rates at the hospital, I was happy about this.

6:30 pm.
Subject: Room for much optimism
Saw the surgeon today…quite cute, a member of the Off White Blues Band…but I digress. I am having a lumpectomy next Wednesday…only a day procedure. After about a month I start treatment at the Cancer Institute. Not sure what that will be right now, but for sure radiation.

So, in light of the bad news of cancer, this is the first step toward treatment and toward healing. I feel quite upbeat and will let you know how matters progress. Heather

My daughters J. and F. dealt with the news of my breast cancer quite differently. F. was in Hawaii when I called her. She sobbed into the arms of my sister which was good. Her boss felt I had ruined her holiday with the news. F. said it did ruin her holiday but she would have been devastated if she didn’t learn until she got back. I don’t know if I did the right thing or the wrong thing.

J. decided to shave her head, quit her job and care for me immediately and have a baby. Not too sure what order she planned. And, she was quite determined that I needed to have a power war cry like Zena the Warrior Princess.

Oh, I did try. I gave a few half hearted shrieks and bellows but nothing that schmecked with any sincerity. When I think of a protective spirit I saw my grandmother Nellie brandishing the Scottish woman’s weapon, a broom, to vanquish the interloper.

I found a Scottish warrior princess and J. photo shopped a broom in place of her sword. Her name is Sgathach. This is pronounced with much guttural throat clearing and sprayed spittle. She became my emblem and my daughter was comforted to know I would fight the cancer.

No comments: