Sunday, May 18, 2008

chemoville capers

Who knew people would be keen to accompany me to chemo?

As I mentioned daughter J. did a sexual puppet show at the foot of my bed.

My number two daughter F came sporting a white off -the- shoulder blouse that revealed her extensive tattoo glory, white blonde hair (she was channeling Marilyn Munro at that time) bright red lips and such chirpy energy I had to tell her to be quiet. The oldies could not stop staring at her and I don't blame them.

One friend rubbed my free arm and encouraged me to relax.

And another friend who was formerly an intensive care nurse, was a complete angel! Just the right voice, the right touch, and the drink the moment it was needed. She was so wonderful.


The nurses in daycare are constantly changing because the environment is so gruesome and the pressure so intense around avoiding errors.


I had one male nurse who managed to cord my veins through improper cleansing and hurried treatment. The fat asshole would not listen to me that my veins are small and rubbery. He just kept jabbing in my arm. Toward the end of his attempts I dropped the Miss Nice Compliant Patient regime and barked at him to get someone who knows what they are doing. One bad poke is all anyone gets now. Take that as you will.

At the start of chemo I was given steroids and anti nausea drugs before any of the joy juice gets infused. I could feel my face swell and my sinuses start to fill immediately.


The treatment itself is painless. As the stuff went into my body the anti nausea drugs kicked in and all I felt was thick, thick, thick. There is a terrible taste and my body and brain were out of sync. And the knowledge that I had to do this three more times. In fact, I was lucky. The cancer I had did not have the gene to replicate itself. So only four chemos instead of months and months of chemo to irradicate the cancer that can just grow again in anothe place.

I went back to work as soon as was feasible to retain some measure of normalcy in my life.






No comments: